AT CASTOR, WE DRIVE FASTER, SMARTER MEDICAL RESEARCH
We believe that faster, more diverse clinical trials help extend the human health span and provide a greater return on investment.
We strive to improve the clinical trial experience for patients, sites and sponsors, using technology to accelerate every step of the clinical trial journey.
Our modular clinical trial platform enables the capture and re-use of research data from anywhere, anytime and helps optimize each activity in the clinical trial journey by reducing human effort with technology. From recruitment to monitoring, we help make it easier to design and deploy trials, enroll and engage patients, collect data and analyze results.
Next to being very purpose-driven, we are proud of our caring company culture. We follow our values diligently and take the well-being of each Castorian seriously. Sounds like something for you? Read on!
Castor’s products have supported over 100.000 medical researchers to capture almost 250 million data points in over 8.000 research projects across the globe - and as we scale, these numbers are rapidly increasing. This continuous growth requires a sustainable yet flexible infrastructure that supports the global roll-out of our platform while meeting the needs of our customers with respect to reliability and security. We are now looking to expand our team with additional infrastructure specialists and DevOps enthusiasts to make sure we can continue to meet these requirements over the coming years.
As a Senior Platform Engineer, you will be joining the team which supports Castor’s developers in getting their services running in production in a secure and reliable manner. After successfully completing a journey into public cloud throughout 2021-2022, our team is now helping development teams leverage cloud technologies and SaaS options in their products.
Over the past year we have set up a Kubernetes platform for new services, and helped other teams with the adoption of Azure Functions for a change data capture system. Helping design and onboard services to these technologies would be a key part of your role, taking into account the stringent security requirements of the healthcare domain.
Next to these new developments, your day to day work will also include typical maintenance work necessary to “keep the lights on”. We strive to find a balance between minimizing toil and being pragmatic which means not everything is perfectly automated, but we’re certainly biased towards avoiding manual and repetitive work.
Our team doesn’t operate many in-house services directly, but when it comes to custom-built scripts for “glue code”, we have a preference for Go or Python. As part of this role, you'll be expected to take some ownership over this internal tooling within our team.
And finally, you should also expect our developers to come to you needing help debugging application issues from time to time, which is a good opportunity to build bridges with the other teams.
You can expect to join a team which follows a set of core values, guiding daily collaboration. These include a commitment to deliver high-quality work, good documentation and knowledge sharing, and a strong focus on transparency and openness. While we don’t automate everything, we try to minimize toil in the day-to-day and ensure a good work-life balance by being flexible around working hours.
The Platform team is, just like the rest of Castor, working remote-first. This means we strive to enable asynchronous work as much as possible. Current members are based in the Netherlands and Sweden, but we also welcome applications from further afield.
We are looking to hire an additional senior platform engineer into our team. Ideally, you will have at least 5 years of experience with DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering, but we’re open to a broad range of skills and expertise. We’ll definitely consider people who’ve been in application development roles as well, especially when you’ve touched a lot of deployment pipelines or monitoring/observability problems.
To give you an idea of skills we’re looking for, consider the following as guidelines:
- You understand DevOps and Site Reliability Principles, and are able to explain how these models enable efficient IT operations.
- You have worked with one of the three major cloud providers. We operate on Azure, but we’ll provide training and certification opportunities if you’ve only used AWS or GCP in your career so far.
- You have experience with container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes or Nomad, and development tooling within this area.
- You have an understanding of Linux systems (we run on Ubuntu, but experience on any other distribution qualifies for us) and networking principles.
- You have some experience building CLI applications or web-based projects, preferably in Go or Python.
- You have experience with server and application performance monitoring. Bonus points if you’ve operated a time-series database like Prometheus, set up distributed tracing infrastructure or instrumented applications with OpenTelemetry.
- You are able to explain the benefits and downsides of different system/cloud architectures in order to help development teams make the right choice for their applications.
Please note that we are open to hire from different European countries and also authorized to provide visa sponsorship for the Netherlands. However, we are unable to accept applications from France, Spain, Bulgaria, Sweden, Switzerland and Greece.
How Castor takes care of you
At Castor we truly live and breathe one of our core values, believing we can achieve anything with a healthy and happy team. Our benefits reflect this:
- Guaranteed ‘happy holidays’ bonus
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Learning & Development Budget to support your growth
- Unlimited annual leave
- A fully remote role, with support for your home office set-up
- A flexible working schedule: nobody is tracking your time except you, we focus on output and delivery
- A great work-life balance
- Quarterly downtime weeks, well-being workshops, sleeping courses, virtual company events and celebrations
- Annual company retreats in person 🌴
We are a remote-first company. At Castor, we value flexibility and believe that the best talents can work anywhere in the world. From flexibility improvements to productivity growth, we want to make sure you are happy, healthy, and productive while working from home.
Don’t have an updated CV just yet? Feel free to apply with your LinkedIn profile.
Every Castorian counts. We celebrate you for who you are. We build products to make clinical research accessible to the world and a company where everyone, anywhere, is welcome. It does not matter where you are from, where you are based, or what your gender, age, or sexual orientation is.
Our remote-first setup is for your family, your work-life balance, your mental health, and your right to be your most authentic self. You are celebrated for who you are, for all the differences and quirks that define you. We want your unique voice to be heard and succeed together as a happy and healthy team!
Castor continues to grow as an Equal Opportunities Employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and people from the LGBTQ(+) community. Please feel free to share the pronouns you use (for example she/her/hers, he/her/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).